Here is a version of Gemba walk check checklist that we used initially when we started with gemba walk. It has helped us to align our efforts to help the flow of products. For this to work you would need following data collection in place for each workstation:
- Hourly production (Target and actual)
- Reasons for not meeting production targets
- Reason why you have WIP in the area
- Rework and rejection count
- Reasons for rework and rejection
- Corrective Actions
- Task assignment and due dates
With operators trained to update the data and identify reasons that interrupt flow, we could use following questions:
Gemba Walk Checklist:
- Was the production target met?
- If the target was not met what was the reason?
- Is there any WIP?
- Reason why WIP is there?
- Was there Rework and/or Rejection?
- What was the reason for Rework and Rejection?
- Was corrective action put in place?
- Are there any overdue action items?
- What are the reasons for overdue items?
- Improvement questions/ tasks assignments?
For each process and company this may vary and it will change too based on where you are 0n the lean transformation Journey. I would love to hear what others use and their thoughts.KD35XBJEW